This part of Drapers’ Hall was constructed at the end of the 19th century to designs by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson.
The bronze doors of the Throgmorton Street entrance lead into an oak-panelled corridor relieved by a stained glass window containing the coats of arms of Sir Francis Drake, Lord Nelson, Earl St. Vincent and Sir Walter Raleigh. Drake, Nelson and St. Vincent were Freemen; Raleigh was included because the Drapers subscribed to his venture to Virginia.
The corridor is lined with portraits of the Lambarde family which were given to the Company by a descendant of William Lambarde, the Elizabethan antiquary and founder of Queen Elizabeth’s College almshouses, Greenwich. On display too is an early 17th century crimson cloak worn by Jane Lambarde for her portrait by Marc Geerhearts.
Sheltering under the staircase is the statue ‘A girl fastening her sandal’ by Rudolf Schadow, which was made in 1881. The marble and alabaster staircase has 15th century Italian details incorporated into Jackson’s work of 1898.
The staircase window contains the royal coat of arms and those of the City, the Drapers’ Company and early Drapers and benefactors. It was renewed after damage during the Second World War.