The staircase was originally situated adjacent to the main entrance in Throgmorton Street but in 1898-9 the present marble and alabaster staircase designed by Sir Thomas Graham Jackson, one of the finest of its date, was erected. The balustrade is of alabaster delicately carved in Italian Quattrocento manner. It is lined with Ionic columns of Breccia marble, the walls Greek Cipollina, the doorcases of Emperor’s Red Marble.
The stained glass window was renewed following damage during the 2nd World War. It features the royal coat of arms, with those of the City and the Drapers’ Company, surrounded by the arms of Drapers, Lord Mayors and benefactors - men such as Sir John Pulteney, Lord Mayor of London four times in the 1330s, Simon Eyre who built Leadenhall as a granary for the City and Sir William Roche, many times Master of the Drapers and MP for the City in 1523.
Sheltering at the base of the staircase is an early 14th century statue by Rudolf Schadow, ‘A girl fastening her sandal’. On the Landing are portrait busts of Frederick, Duke of York, William IV, Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort by John Francis.